Sunday, February 27, 2011

Redd Ranch Bull Sale

      One day in 1981, when I was 15 years old, dad and I headed out to Paradox, Colorado to the Redd Ranch annual bull sale. I remember I was 15 because I just had my drivers permit and dad let me drive our 1976 Lincoln Town Car all the way from our ranch near Walden to Paradox which is about 375 miles. That Town Car was a real cruiser it just floated down the road as fast as you wanted it to go. I still believe to this day that it was the best car we ever owned. If I remember right we drove to Paradox the day before the sale and returned the day after.

      We had always used Hereford bulls for as long as I could remember up until that sale. The Redd ranch had about 300 Red Angus bulls in the sale and I believe we bought 5 or 6 of them. So we ended up with some Red Angus/Hereford cross calves for awhile but not for long because we sold the cattle and ranch about 5 years later.

      Paradox is on the Colorado Utah border in Mormon country. I remember this because it was my first experience with Mormons. I remember my dad telling me the owners of the Redd Ranch must have been Mormon because the Mormon Church had a concession stand there. I also remember my dad telling me the Mormon Church would be right there after the money was counted up at the end of the sale to collect their cut. I don't know if that was true but that experience has stuck in my mind all these years.

1 comment:

  1. Small bits of content which are explained in details, helps me understand the topic, thank you!


    Red angus cows

    ReplyDelete